5173 Raspberrybush Ct.
Columbus OH 43230
7/2007-present Community Relations Coordinator, The Salvation Army in Central Ohio, Columbus, Ohio
Write press releases and build relationships with local media for this large and highly respected social service agency and church. Maintain and improve large Web site. Use videos and social networking to raise the profile of the organization among young people. Assist with event planning and promotions. Assist with development and interact with members of board and committees.
8/2005-7/2007 Associate Editor, Columbus Monthly, Columbus, Ohio
Write features and other articles for this city magazine, breaking news and delving deep into local issues and personalities. Work on group projects, such as Best of Columbus. Edit freelance work. Participate in staff discussions regarding vision and direction.
2/2005-6/2005 Adjunct Professor, Columbia College, Chicago
Taught Introduction to Computer-assisted Reporting at this respected four-year journalism college. Taught students to optimize Web searching, find and use reliable data, and import Web data into Microsoft Excel for analysis.
5/2004-6/2005 President of the Board, Camp Fire Metro Chicago Council, Chicago
Led the board of directors through a reorganization at this local council of the national camping and youth development organization, Camp Fire USA. Worked with the CEO on grants, donor meetings, special events, finance, and hosting a national convention. Spoke publicly on behalf of Camp Fire. Started a newsletter and launched a new event: the Flashlight 5K. Developed effective committee structure. Worked toward a new strategic plan. Board member, 5/2003 to 5/2004.
6/2000-2/2005 Reporter, Daily Southtown, Tinley Park, Ill.
Covered topical beats on Chicago’s South Side and in the south and southwest suburbs. 6/00-2/02, crime reporter; 2/02-6/03 legal affairs reporter; 6/03-2/05, health and social welfare reporter. Mentored new reporters. Taught veteran reporters to optimize use of the computers and software.
10/2002-1/2003 Red Streak/Chicago Sun-Times, Chicago
Took brief absence from the Southtown at company’s request to help launch Red Streak, a young adult edition of the Chicago Sun-Times.
11/1999-6/2000 Reporter, Alliance News Service, Chicago
Cover the Cook County municipal courthouse in Bridgeview for this now-defunct wire service serving the Daily Southtown and the Chicago Sun-Times.
Published in: Chicago Sun-Times; Crain’s Modern Healthcare Magazine; the Forest Park Review; Plastic Surgery News; Chicago Parent Magazine; Columbus Parent Magazine; Daily Southtown, the Red Streak. Freelance Web design: The Leave No Child Inside Central Ohio Collaborative; Jenny Morgan, singer/songwriter; Alice Hohl resume site.
Bachelor of Science: Double major in journalism and urban studies, Northwestern University, 1998
- Hawthorne Elementary PTO: Secretary
- Gold Star Columbus East B-2-B: Club Administrator
- St. Johns Episcopal Church: Communications Chair
- Genoa Township Business Association: Webmaster
- Strawberry Farms Civic Association: Board Member and Webmaster
- Kiwanis Club of Columbus: Public Relations Committee Chair
- The Leave No Child Inside Central Ohio Collaborative: Co-Chair
- Ohio Department of Natural Resources 2010 Cardinal Award winner
- Camp Fire USA, Central Ohio Council, Volunteer media and digital consultant
- Cleveland Press Club: 1st place, analysis, “Location, Location, Location,” 2007.
- Suburban Newspapers of America: 1st place, news feature, “Stranger at the Door,” 2002.
- The Chicago Headline Club’s Peter Lisagor Award: 2000 finalist for reporting, 2001 award winner for news feature, “Stranger at the Door,” 2002 finalist for consumer reporting in tainted orange juice case.
- Camp Fire USA Metropolitan Chicago Council, President, board of directors, 2004-2005; board member since 2003; Volunteer camp counselor, 1994-2004. Central Ohio Council 2004-present: member, Marketing Committee and Camp Committee.
- Volunteer tutor and mentor, Cluster Tutoring Program, Chicago’s West Side. Tuesday nights, 1999-2005.